Luigi Settembrini is an artist who works in the fields of painting and set design.
Born in Rome (Italy) in 1968, Settembrini specialized in art during high school before studying set design at the Academy of Fine Arts in Rome. His passion for dance-theater and art therapy inspired him to write a thesis on design methodology entitled Martha Graham and the Ideology of the Body: Methodology of the Avant-Garde.
Settembrini then continued his studies at the Academy of Fine Arts in Agrigento (Michelangelo) where he studied The Use of Narration and Metaphor in Art Education, writing a thesis entitled Educational Workshops in Plastic-Figurative Expression (Art Therapy Methodology).
Settembrini has taught drawing, art history, painting and architecture at the high school level and has works as an art therapist at psychopedagogical medical institutes in Rome.
He has designed sets for independent productions in Spain, Mexico, Argentina and Italy.
He also edited the online scenography column, Treaty on Set Design: From the Scenographic Event to the Artistic Creation for the TBArte Artistic and Cultural Association.
Since 2010, he has been a member of the UIL-UNSA National Union of Italian and European Artists and Writers, a testament to the value of his accomplishments as a professional artist.
In 2011, Luigi Settembrini was a guest at Mimar Sinan Güzel Sanatlar Üniversitesi in Istanbul (Turkey) where he taught a seminar on his artistic philosophy, entitled Transitions.
In the same year, he exhibited at the 54th Biennale di Venezia, in the Italian Pavilion, Palazzo delle Esposizioni – Sala Nervi. He was presented by art critic Alessandra Lucia Coruzzi and selected by Vittorio Sgarbi.
In 2019, he received a Magna Graecia Art Award and was invested as a Gran Maestro dell’Accademia dei Dioscuri.
Luigi Settembrini’s art researches difficulties caused by the fragile balances of mankind. Living and coexisting, accepting ourselves as souls that are equal yet different, a continuous and infinite opposition that inevitably bridges the corrupt physical expression of the ego and the instable, excruciating search for of elements that are essential to our existence.
According to Roberto Chiavarini:
His universal art tends to embrace revolutionary cultural phenomena, a whirlwind that involves the spectator in a tactile, theatrical imagination which is captured in his compositions marked by clear conceptual flavor. Through his style, Maestro Settembrini, cultured and wise, lays out an anthology of his experiences and his personal artistic path.
Luigi Settembrini has exhibited in both Italy and abroad, most notably:
• 54th Venice Biennale - Italian Pavilion
• Rome Biennale 2017, Stadio di Domiziano
• Rome Triennale 2011
• “Apollineus and Dionysian” Augusto Consorti Gallery, Rome 2011
• Civica Galleria d’Arte Moderna “G. Sciortino” Complesso monumentale Guglielmo II, Monreale (PA) 2010
• Sporting Hotel in Riccione. June / September 2009
• Florence Biennale 2009, Fortezza Da Basso
• Chianciano Biennale 2009, Art Museum of Chianciano
• Exposição Colectiva de Pintura Italiana. Galeria Geraldes da Silva. Porto (Portugal) 2008
• Arteria 2008. Recinto Ferial de Monzón. Huesca - España 2008
• Contemporanea 2007. XI Edition, Forlì / Fiera. 23/26 November.
• Campo de 'Fiori Award, l'Angelo Azzurro Gallery. Rome 2007
• World Peace - Rome. l'Angelo Azzurro Gallery. Rome 2006
• Rome of insomnia (The Roman white nights). Crispi Gallery. 2006
•"Medusa Aurea" (International Academy of Modern Art). Sala Matisse, Rome 2006
• "Art of the Territory, Territories of Art". Circle of Artists meets Aktivamente. Rome 2005
• Catalogue of Modern Art 2018. G. Mondadori
• Catalogue RomArt Biennale 2017
• The best modern and contemporary artists 2014
• Catalogue Venice Biennale - Italian Pavilion 2011
• International Encyclopedic Dictionary of Modern and Contemporary Art